Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2007

My Cheeseburger Dilema

There was some sad news in my family today. My parents beloved dog Buddy passed away after being ill. While not the specific reason for this post, it did contribute to the problem.

Ryan and I have decided to start living more ecologically friendly and one of the steps we have taken is to stop buying red meat. When we can aquire beef from our families (grown in our own backyards) we will take advantage of that, but otherwise we really wanted to cut down.

However, everytime I get down and out I really enjoy getting a cheeseburger from Wendy's just down the road. I wrestled with this decision for quite awhile today and even consulted my friend Holly on my moral dilema. Holly says she is not much help on the moral front, but stating the issue helped me decide to eat some scrambled eggs instead. Now I do no know what the difference in impact of eating a fast food cheeseburger to eating eggs is, but I hope at least it is slightly better.

So while I was reading my daily collection of news stories, commentary, and blogs, I came across some information on the impact of the cheeseburger. I hope you all will take some time to look at it. It doesn't include driving to the establishment, the paper products used at the resturant and having "fries with that," but it is at the least interesting. It is written by a guy named Jamais Cascio who I never heard of until coming across this post. He comes to the conclusion that the consumption of cheeseburgers in America in one year is equal to the greenhouse output of 100,000 SUVs.

http://www.openthefuture.com/2006/12/the_footprint_of_a_cheeseburge.html

3 comments:

Rachel Ann said...

THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS (and taught specifically to children at camp). Meat production is so terrible for the environment. Thank you, Chrissy, for helping to inform people and allow them to think about their decisions.

Unknown said...

Someday, we WILL rule the world you know....or at least the United Methodist Church.

Chrissy Joy said...

Someday, we WILL rule the world you know....or at least the United Methodist Church.