Pages

Friday, June 26, 2009

Yeah for Dairy Queen!!

I am so glad that I am able to eat dairy in controlled amounts again. Last year at this time I started realizing that eating ice cream and cheese was causing some serious gastrointestinal disturbances. So I stopped eating dairy and a few weeks later stopped eating any kind of gluten. After about a year of not eating dairy I am able to eat small amounts again, and it has been so wonderful.

From what I understand from my readings, people with any kind of gluten intolerance can suffer other sensitivities because their system is damaged from the irritation. Diary is usually one of the first things that people become sensitive too. Because the cause and effect was noticeable when I ate dairy it wasn't a hard thing to give up, but I did miss ice cream and cheese quite a lot. I started drinking soy milk right away and I really enjoy unsweetened Silk, it has a great taste and some very essential nutrients. Since I have been completely gluten free and have no desire to ever go back to eating gluten I decided to try eating some ice cream. It's been so good, I appreciate it so much more after not being able to eat it for a year.

Today I walked to the Dairy Queen. It was such good incentive to get me out of the house and walking as I am suppose to be getting exercise. And I had been craving a hot fudge sundae so badly. So I got my fix and will be good for a couple more days. It's officially summer, and I've had my official summer sundae. :)

9 comments:

judyschoon said...

Sounds yummy, we will have to put it on our schedule when I am there. hugs

Pastor Jim said...

They just added "Orange Julius" at our Dairy Queen:) I'm not much on ice cream, but I do love an "Orange Julius." We will have to go sometime! I'll even buy:)

judyschoon said...

You don't like ice cream ???? Ohhhhhhhh

Unknown said...

Jim, you just got dropped down a notch in my mom's book. :) I've never had Orange Julius before.

mamalndy3 said...

Have you tried the gluten-free betty crocker mixes yet? They are surprisingly yummy!

Renee said...

I did not know that about gluten and dairy. Thanks for the info...and your trip to the DQ sounds good!

Michelle said...

You'll have to find a Cold Stone Creamery. They have the best ice cream!

Alicia said...

Isn't it funny how you read a blog for awhile & you feel like you personally "know" the author ??? I actually thought of YOUR dietary restrictions while in the grocery store today (trying to figure out what-in-the-heck to buy that conforms to MY restrictions) & came across a magazine entitled "Living Without." It said it's the magazine for people with allergies & food sensitivities & had a photo of Elizabeth Hasselbeck from the View on the cover talking about living gluten-free. Pricey ($5.95), but interesting to see such a publication. :)

mamalndy3 said...

Have you tried the gluten-free betty crocker mixes yet? They are surprisingly yummy!