Pages

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

When to make the call...

I've come to terms with the fact that I have one (or many) chronic conditions and they are going to predict how I feel on particular days throughout my life, especially over the next couple of years as I try to figure things out.

After feeling horrible for most of December and being on vacation at home with family, I realized on the ride home that my sinuses were hurting.  I didn't think that I had a sinus problem, I wasn't congested any more than usual.  A little short of breath, but I have asthma, and I was having a lot more headaches, but not out of the ordinary.  My throat has been persistently sore for awhile now, so yesterday I decided to make an appointment with my doc to see what was up.

Turns out I have sinusitis, or the crud as she so professionally put it.  I use to get this all the time, but it was always accompanied by horrible colored mucus oozing from my nose.  So, this asks the question: When am I "sick" enough to call a doctor and when should I just chalk it up to being chronically ill?

I obviously don't have the answer to this, but am looking for some insight if any of you other sickies out there are reading.

I believe that it will be something I learn over time.  I feel that I know my body pretty well, and have realized symptoms and illnesses over the years a lot earlier than some people.  So perhaps this is just another learning phase in my new body.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you figured it out before it went into your ears...that was always so painful for you. Hope the meds help. love you xoxoo mom hugs

Patty said...

HI,
My name is Patty and this is the first time I have visited your blog. I wanted to encourage you that God will always show you when to call the doctor. There are so many times I pace, not wanting to call AGAIN...

You'll learn what symptoms are "your symptoms" of chronic illness, but it takes time to know those symptoms and be able to say..OK, today this is Fibro.

With my chronic illness, one being fibromyalgia, I have chronic ear infections. I never know whether I have an ear infection or if it's just allergies, or what.

You are right, it is a learning phase in your new body. It gets easier as time goes on. I don't always make the right decision...if in doubt I call. Better to be safe than end up so sick it takes a long time to bounce back.

I am glad yo went before it hit your ears to...your Mom is right!

Blessings, Patty

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouragement Patty!