Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

#1- Learn to Spin Wool

On February 27, 2011 I began the journey of completing my 30 things before 30 list.
It was number one on my list mostly because I knew it would be the first thing that I would be doing.  I will not be completing the rest of the list in any kind of order, so here it goes.

I signed up for a spinning class a few weeks ago at Wholly Craft in Clintonville.  I had seen it listed when I was checking out the listings for the classes that I am teaching in March.  I love buying and working with yarn and have wanted to learn to spin for quite awhile.  There are a few options here in central Ohio, but none that were really convenient for me.  This beginners class at Wholly Craft was the perfect opportunity for me to learn in a comfortable setting.


If you have not been to Wholly Craft it is a consignment shop filled with some really awesome handmade items from some incredibly talented people here in Columbus.  My instructor Lexi was so friendly and the other women who were taking the class were pleasant.

The kind of spinning I learned is done using a drop spindle.  I bought a kit right from the store with all the materials I would need to begin, which is simply the spindle itself and the wool which is called roving.  We talked about the different kinds of fibers, and slowly went over all the steps to completing a skein of yarn.

I think I caught on fairly quickly, I've used up my first batch of roving already.  Not to toot my own horn, but I might even say I'm a natural.  It's a lot of fun and I'm really looking forward to buying more fiber and making beautiful things.

No comments: