Pages

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Composting Pictures


I wanted to post some pictures of my compost bins for Rachel and Matt said that he would like to hear about my composting. So here is the deal: Both Ryan's and my families have always composted (thrown all our kitchen scraps in a pile in the backyard.) When I moved out on my own it was wierd throwing everything away, it made the trashcan smell and made unneccessary wastes in landfills. We put some scraps down the garbage disposal and it clogged often and as Rachel would say "it's not doing much good down there anyways." I see composting as a great way to treat the environment better, plus it will be great for my spring flowers and veggies. Finding simple instructions on the internet was difficult because everyone has their own ideas about what makes a compost bin and what should go in it. I consulted my good composting loving friend Rachel and asked her opinion. And this is what we came up with: We bought two Rubbermaid Roughneck 30 gallon garbage cans and drilled several small holes to allow air flow. We then spray painted our name on the top so noone was steal them or mistake them for garbage. Inside we layered torn newspaper, yard clippings and kitchen scraps (everything but meat and greasy things.) Through this process I've realized my impatience, I want it ot be finished compost now, but it will take several months before I can use it.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Excellent.

Anonymous said...

Not that compost is at it's most useful in the dead of winter...