Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Last 7 Days

The last week is almost too hard to describe. I've found that sitting and writing about it isn't the way the story relates the best. For one, my writing skills are not up to par with what I've experienced. These experiences are best expressed in the form of a conversation. I hope to dedicate the next week or so trying to get the details out in writing, meanwhile discussing it all with those who will listen.

For those of you who didn't know I spent a week on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi in a town called Long Beach. I participated in the ongoing task of rebuilding everything that was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, which occurred in August of 2005. While New Orleans has gotten the most press, for many good reasons, there are parts of the Gulf Coast that have been affected drastically and are in need of as much aid as possible.

I was offered the opportunity by The Beatitudes Society, where 15 amazing, progressive, Christians gathered for a trip to Camp Coast Care. We were from across the United States with many different gifts. We came together to be the hands and feet of God in this world and to show the love of Christ to others.

We worshiped, slept, ate, worked, and laughed along side each other for 6 days, and shared hugs when it was time to depart. We carried the spirit of the Gulf Coast back to our homes, with hopes of effectively sharing our stories and the stories of those we met on our short trip.

However, this is only the setting for the story and does not begin to reach the meanings of what I experienced in Mississippi and since I've returned home to Ohio. Please be patient with me as I process all that has happened and post here what I can.

No comments: