Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Fondue is so good it should be called "Fon Don't"

Perhaps this is a Saturday Night Live reference that only Ryan and I find funny. But it makes a good post title.

I've developed irritable bowel syndrome over the last several months, and although this may be too much information for you, it leads me to the topic of the post. I've given up dairy. This is a difficult thing for me to do, I love cheese, milk, and ice cream, but when it makes you sick I suppose it could be worth the sacrifice. Maybe it's not the dairy, and in a few weeks I can go back to eating it. But for now it's soy milk with my morning cereal.

I never take any decision about what I eat lightly, and this was no different. What environmental effects would giving up dairy contribute to? Should I believe all the hype from vegans who believe that any animal product causes suffering. I'm not so sure that I'm convinced on this one. However, I can be convinced that the raising of dairy cows do contribute a significant amount of carbon emissions. And by reducing the amount of dairy I eat, could I be reducing my carbon footprint? I don't know.

I need to do more research about the production of soy products and how the emissions and food miles contribute to my footprint.

That's my thought for the day.

Today is my first real non dairy day so I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: