Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2007

100th Post, A little about myself

In preparation for Blog Action Day tomorrow, I've been going over in my head what to write. I want it to be important and thought provoking. However, what is important to me might not be important to the next person, so I decided to write a little bit about myself so you, the reader, can decide if your morals, values, and priorities are anything similar to mine.

First and foremost I'm a Christian. I grew up a Christian, I have no spectacular conversion story or stories about hardships in my life before I came to the church. It's the way I was raised. I can't offer any insightful images of being raised this way, all I can say is that I was loved, made to feel special, and taught how to live a Christ-like life. This is what I strive for, to live in the way Jesus exemplified in his life.

Which brings me to another important aspect of my character which does not stand apart from my identity as a Christian. I am an environmentlist! (yes I said it..) Many Christians cringe at this word... Some even feel that environmentalism is anti-Christian. But let me point out, that the fact that I am an environmentlist shows that I value God's gift of Creation.

Many people are not sure how to handle my environmental tendencies. I can remember at 11 being called Crunchy for the first time. I had no idea what that meant, but as I grew up I found out. Some call my weird, some call me a hippie, some call me crazy, most commonly I'm called a treehugger, but most recently I've been called an earth muffin. These names don't hurt my feelings so if you are going to use them don't be upset when I'm not offended.

I've worked a very long time to model both Christ and Environmentalism in my life. It's who I am, and by being who I am, I hope that I can open up a dialogue between those Christians who don't believe in Environmentalism and those Environmentalists who don't know what to do about all those Christians.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chrissy,
how could anyone think being an "enviromentalist" is contrary to being a Christian? Everything on earth, God provided for us and told us to take care of it. I was proud of you, in elementaty school, when you and Dad tried to keep our section of road picked up and when you and Melanie used to collect the papers from the classrooms in high school. Stay true to yourself. Enviromentalist and Christianity go hand in hand. love you

Unknown said...

Thanks mommy..